Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dawsonville in Dawson County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Dawson County

 
 
Dawson County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 24, 2010
1. Dawson County Marker
Inscription. This County, created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 3, 1857, is named for William C. Dawson who died in 1856, having served in Congress from Dec. 1836 to Nov. 1842, and in the U.S. Senate from 1849 to 1855. He also commanded a brigade in the Creek Indian War of 1836. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff Samuel R. Fendley, Ordinary Henry K. Mikel, Clerk of Superior Court Daniel P. Monroe, Clerk of Inferior Court John Matthews, Tax Receiver David H. Logan, Tax Collector John Bruce, Treasurer James B. Gordon, Surveyor Andrew I. Glenn and Coroner John W. Beck.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 042-1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 34° 25.274′ N, 84° 7.129′ W. Marker is in Dawsonville, Georgia, in Dawson County. Marker is at the intersection of Dahlonega Street (Georgia Route 53) and Atlanta Highway (Georgia Route 9), in the median on Dahlonega Street. Touch for map. The marker stands at the east side of the Dawson County Counthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Dawsonville GA 30534, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the
Dawson County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 24, 2010
2. Dawson County Marker
Looking west from Dahlonega Street, with the Courthouse is in the background.
crow flies. Georgians in the Union Army (a few steps from this marker); Auraria (approx. 6.6 miles away); The Station (approx. 7.3 miles away); Calhoun Gold Mine (approx. 9.5 miles away); Old Federal Road (approx. 10.4 miles away); Price Memorial Building (approx. 10.6 miles away); Singleton/Wimpy/Gaillard Homeplace (approx. 10.8 miles away); Lumpkin Court House (approx. 10.8 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Dawson County. (Submitted on July 25, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USGovernmentPolitical Subdivisions
 
Old Dawson County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 24, 2010
3. Old Dawson County Courthouse
The north face of the original courthouse, which was completed in 1858. A new Dawson County Courthouse was built in 1978, and the old courthouse has been restored.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 25, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 703 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 25, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement