Orangeburg in Orangeburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Williams Chapel A.M.E. Church
This church was founded in 1873 with Rev. Dave Christie as its first pastor. In 1877 trustees Emily A. Williams, Richard Howard, and Irwin Mintz purchased a small lot here, on what was then Market Street before Glover Street was laid out. They soon built a frame church, which stood for almost thirty years. Additional acreage purchased in 1909 allowed the congregation to build an addition and parsonage.
This Gothic Revival church was designed by Miller F. Whittaker (1892-1949), a professor at S.C. State Agricultural & Mechanical College (now S.C. State University), one of the first black architects in S.C., and a member of this congregation. The cornerstone was laid in 1919, and the church was completed about 1925. Williams Chapel A.M.E. Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
Erected 2006 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 38-30.)
Location. 33° 29.191′ N, 80° 51.626′ W. Marker is in Orangeburg, South Carolina, in Orangeburg County. Marker is on Glover Street near Middleton Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1198 Glover Street, Orangeburg SC 29115, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Orangeburg Confederate Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jewish Merchants/Jewish Life (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Two Old Guns Of Captain Henry Felder (approx. 0.3 miles away); Court House Square (approx. 0.3 miles away); Judge Glover's Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); Church of the Redeemer (approx. 0.4 miles away); Veterans Memorial Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); Veterans Memorial Fountain (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orangeburg.
Regarding Williams Chapel A.M.E. Church. Williams Chapel A.M.E. Church is an elegant essay in Gothic Revival architecture. Its picturesque massing and distinctive detailing attest to the talents of its architect, Miller F. Whittaker, who prepared plans for the building in 1915. Whittaker was the director of the Department of Mechanical Arts at South Carolina State College and was also the first African American architect practicing in South Carolina. Construction of the building began ca. 1915, but it was not
completed until ca. 1925 due to financial difficulties. The congregation is said to have been organized in 1873, and until ca. 1919 worshiped in a frame building that sat to the northeast of the present building. The one-story brick church features two towers on the facade with pyramidal metal shingle
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 25, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 815 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 25, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.