Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Monterey in Monterey County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

House of Four Winds

 
 
House of Four WInds Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein
1. House of Four WInds Marker
Inscription.
House of
Four Winds

Built in the late 1830's
by Thomas Oliver Larkin
Traditionally used as an
early Hall of Records

Monterey History & Art Assn.
Courtesy Thomson J. Hudson
Memorial Fund

 
Erected by Monterey History and Art Association.
 
Location. 36° 35.854′ N, 121° 53.777′ W. Marker is in Monterey, California, in Monterey County. Marker is on Calle Principal 0.1 miles south of Jefferson Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 540 Calle Principal, Monterey CA 93940, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Quarters of General William Tecumseh Sherman (within shouting distance of this marker); Larkin House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Larkin House (within shouting distance of this marker); Chestnut Tree (within shouting distance of this marker); Casa Amesti (within shouting distance of this marker); Moon Tree (within shouting
Casa de los Cuatro Vientos image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 23, 2010
2. Casa de los Cuatro Vientos
The House of Four Winds is owned by the Monterey Civic Club.
distance of this marker); Casa Gutierrez (within shouting distance of this marker); 19th Century Sailing Ship's Anchor (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monterey.
 
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on a head-height pole directly in front of the building.
 
Regarding House of Four Winds. The House of Four Winds was registered as California State Historical Landmark Number 353 on October 9, 1939.
 
Also see . . .  House of Four Winds. Historic Monterey's webpage history for the House of Four Winds: This charming house, sometimes called in Spanish La Casa de Los Vientos, acquired its name by the mid-1800s, because it was the first house in Monterey with a weathervane on its hipped roof. Built about 1835, the adobe was originally part of the large piece of property on Calle Principal developed by Thomas O. Larkin. First used as a residence by the Mexican Governor Alvarado, William S. Johnson later designated it as the first State of California Hall of Records for the newly formed County of Monterey. (Submitted on July 27, 2010.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
House of Four Winds image. Click for full size.
By Robert W. Kerrigan, May 13, 1936
3. House of Four Winds
This view of the House of Four Winds, taken in 1936 for the Historic American Buildings Survey, shows a marker similar in style and wording to the current marker. The wording differs slightly, however, reading, "Built in the 1830's by Thomas Oliver Larkin in his garden. Named for weather vane. Traditionally used as early house of records."
House of Four Winds image. Click for full size.
March 23, 2010
4. House of Four Winds
The marker is visible on the left side of the picture, in the shadows.
House of Four Winds image. Click for full size.
circa 1930s
5. House of Four Winds
A Pacific Novelty Company of San Francisco postcard.
House of Four Winds image. Click for full size.
By B.W. White, Monterey, Ca
6. House of Four Winds
This rambling old structure was the first in this community to boast of a weather vane. From this fact and that also its roof slopes four ways, it received the above name. It was built by Thomas O. Larkin in 1834 and was the first Hall of Records of the state.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 27, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 718 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 27, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.   5, 6. submitted on July 27, 2010. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement