Barry Farm in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Campbell African Methodist Episcopal Church
2562 Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue, SE
—African American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC —
Campbell AME, established in 1867 as Mount Zion AME, was an outgrowth of its overcrowded parent church, Allen Chapel AME, founded in 1850. When it moved to a location near the present one in 1890, Mount Zion was renamed for AME Bishop Jabez B. Campbell. Frederick Douglass attended Campbell’s dedication ceremonies and occasionally spoke at the church.
In 1950, under the leadership of Rev. Samuel Everette Guiles, the church organized the Campbell Civic Club, and began hosting NAACP strategy meetings and rallies to fight public school segregation. Church members were plaintiffs in Bolling v. Sharpe, a companion case to the landmark Brown v. Board of Education (1954).
Barbara (left) and Adrienne Jennings, two of the Bolling plaintiffs, celebrate the Brown decision with their mother, Luberta Jennings.
Star Collection, DC Public Library : Washington Post
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC - Funded by the DC Historic Preservation Office.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Washington, DC African American Heritage Trail marker series.
Location. 38° 51.557′ N, 76° 59.701′ W. Marker is in Barry Farm, Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2562 Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue, SE, Washington DC 20020, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hillsdale (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Faith and Action (about 700 feet away); The Curative Powers of Nature (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Navy Town (approx. 0.2 miles away); Barry Farm - Hillsdale (approx. 0.2 miles away); Birney School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Nichols Avenue Elementary School/Old Birney School Site (approx. ¼ mile away); A Museum for the Community (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Barry Farm.
Regarding Campbell African Methodist Episcopal Church. Campbell AME Church dates back to 1850 when members of the local free Black community organized Allen Chapel near Good Hope Village (now Garfield). Allen African Methodist Episcopal Church, as it is now known, remains the oldest Black church in Hillsdale. With the arrival of the Barry Farm Freedmen's settlement (later renamed Hillsdale) after the Civil War, Allen Chapel grew so large that a group split off in 1867 and formed Mount Zion AME Church on Mount Zion
Among the members of Campbell AME Church were Barbara and Adrienne Jennings, two of the plaintiffs in Bolling v. Sharpe, which became a part of the landmark Brown v. Board of Education (1954). All of the Bolling plaintiffs came from the Hillsdale community.
Cultural Tourism DC
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. This is a list of Brown v. Board of Education markers.
Additional keywords. Anacostia;
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion • Civil Rights • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 29, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,022 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 29, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 8, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 7. submitted on January 13, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.