Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Refugio in Refugio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Mission Nuestra Señora del Refugio

 
 
Site of Mission Nuestra Señora del Refugio Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, June 11, 2010
1. Site of Mission Nuestra Señora del Refugio Marker
Inscription. Originally founded on January 31, 1793, by Fathers José Francisco Garza and Mariano Velasco, Franciscan missionaries, at the junction of the Guadalupe and San Antonio Rivers for the conversion of the Karankowa Indians. Removed to the present location, January 10, 1795.
 
Erected 1986 by State of Texas.
 
Location. 28° 17.642′ N, 97° 16.653′ W. Marker is in Refugio, Texas, in Refugio County. Marker is on West Roca Street near South Alamo Street (Business U.S. 77), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1008 S. Alamo Street, Refugio TX 78377, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Our Lady of Refuge Catholic Church (here, next to this marker); Dennis M. O'Connor Public Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Colonel A. M. Hobby/Hobby's 8th Texas Infantry Regiment, C.S.A. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Refugio County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Refugio County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Empresario James Power (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sally Scull (approx. 0.2 miles away); Amon B. King (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Refugio.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Model of Mission image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, June 11, 2010
2. Model of Mission
On exhibit at Refugio museum, along with several other items.
Original bell image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, June 11, 2010
3. Original bell
On exhibit at Refugio Museum.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 29, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 829 times since then and 89 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 29, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement