Burlington in Burlington County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Oﬃce of the Council of Proprietors and the Surveyor General
Western Division of New Jersey
The council was formed in 1688 to manage the growing demand for land in West Jersey, and has met annually in May since that time.
This 1911 brick building replaced a nearby old wooden building. It is within the Burlington Historic District and is listed as a contributing building on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.
In 1676 William Penn and the Quaker trustees published the Concessions and Agreements that guaranteed freedoms and rights to West Jersey emigrants and became the inspiration to our founding fathers a century later.
Location. 40° 4.645′ N, 74° 51.602′ W. Marker is in Burlington, New Jersey, in Burlington County. Marker is on West Broad Street 0.1 miles west of High Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Burlington NJ 08016, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grant House (within shouting distance of this marker); Old St. Mary’s (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ockanickon (about 300 feet away); Founding of St. Mary’s Parish (about 400 feet away); New St. Mary’s (about 500 feet away); Free Library (about 600 feet away); Center of Arts and Culture (about 700 feet away); Birthplaces (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burlington.
Also see . . .
1. West Jersey. (Submitted on August 2, 2010, by Deb Hartshorn of Burlington County, New Jersey.)
2. New Jersey Archives. (Submitted on August 2, 2010, by Deb Hartshorn of Burlington County, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Government • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2010, by Deb Hartshorn of Burlington County, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 646 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 1, 2010, by Deb Hartshorn of Burlington County, New Jersey. 2, 3. submitted on August 2, 2010, by Deb Hartshorn of Burlington County, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.