Steubenville in Jefferson County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton
Erected 2003 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Scotts Company-Founded by a Civil War Veteran, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 7-41.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 21.582′ N, 80° 36.826′ W. Marker is in Steubenville, Ohio Touch for map. This historical marker is located in the downtown business district, at the southeast corner of the Jefferson County Courthouse Square. Marker is in this post office area: Steubenville OH 43952, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Edwin McMasters Stanton (here, next to this marker); Abraham Lincoln's Visit to Steubenville (a few steps from this marker); U.S.S. Maine (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Steuben (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Federal Land Office (about 500 feet away); North-West Corner of Fort Steuben (about 600 feet away); This Old Federal Land Office (about 600 feet away); Andrew Carnegie (1835-1919) / Carnegie Library of Steubenville (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Steubenville.
Also see . . .
1. Edwin McMasters Stanton. This is a link to a site that discusses the background of those involved in the Impeachment of Andrew Johnson. (Submitted on August 2, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Edwin M. Stanton. This is a link provided by NNDB. (Submitted on August 2, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
3. Edwin M. Stanton Biography. This is a link (Submitted on August 2, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Notable Persons • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,159 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 2, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.