Bay City in Bay County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Trinity Church/Trinity Episcopal Church
Trinity Church grew from a small group of settlers served by Episcopal missionaries beginning around 1842. Church records credit William and Ann Fitzhugh with founding the church. On March 4, 1854, fourteen people, led by the Reverend Voltaire Spaulding, formally organized the parish in what was then Lower Saginaw (renamed Bay City in 1857). Members worshipped in "the brown school" and "the ball (bowling) alley" until their first church was built in 1860. By 1883 Trinity's membership had reached 175 people. Spurred by a monetary bequest from Elizabeth Birney, and a donation of land from her daughter Florence Jennison, the congregation planned a new church. The present church opened on April 14, 1887. In 1942 the parish bought the Frank and Lottie Shearer House for use as a rectory.
Episcopalians celebrated completion of this building in 1887. Designed by Bay City architect Philip C. Floeter, the sandstone church features bold Victorian Gothic elements, such as pointed arch windows and heavy buttresses. Many of the brilliant stained glass windows were dedicated in memory of parishoners. Lumberman Thomas Cranage and his wife, Julia, donated the three-panel window in the main
Erected 2005 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L0858.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 43° 35.856′ N, 83° 52.819′ W. Marker is in Bay City, Michigan, in Bay County. Marker is at the intersection of Center Avenue (State Highway 25) and North Grant Street, on the right when traveling west on Center Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 815 North Grant Street, Bay City MI 48708, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Charles B. & Georgiana (McGraw) Curtiss House (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Center Avenue (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Ten Hours or No Sawdust" Theodore H. Roethke Childhood Home / Theodore H. Roethke (approx. 13.7 miles away); The Bavarian Colony of Frankenhilf (approx. 16½ miles away); Frankenhilf (approx. 16½ miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 663 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 2, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.