Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hampton, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Hampton Roads Golf And Country Club

First in Virginia & One of the First 100 in the Country

 
 
The Hampton Roads Golf And Country Club Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, July 31, 2010
1. The Hampton Roads Golf And Country Club Marker
Inscription. The Hampton Roads Golf and Country Club was established in 1893 on undeveloped land purchased for speculation by Mary Frances Armstrong in 1888. This site today would extend from Hampton Roads Avenue to East Avenue, from Kecoughtan Road to Hampton Roads. The 9-hole course covered 2,661 yards, with holes marked with traps and natural hazards. The clubhouse was located in the 100 block of Hampton Roads Avenue and was the starting and ending point of the course. In 1898 an agreement was made with the hotels at Old Point Comfort, where they would help with the cost of maintaining the links and, in exchange, they would promote the golf course as one of their recreational amenities.

On March 31, 1900, the famous British golfer, Harry Vardon, set the course record during his year-long tour of the U.S. This helped introduce golf to the country. Mr. Vardon was, at the time, called the “greatest golfer that ever lived.” He played four rounds of golf against Willie Dunn, the 1894 US Champion. The Hampton Roads Golf and Country Club became a member of the United States Golf Association in 1901, which allowed them status within the golfing community.

President Woodrow Wilson, a golf enthusiast, made an unscheduled stop at the golf club on the afternoon of May 15, 1915, Newspapers around the country reported that his
Chesapeake Ave & Hampton Roads Ave image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, July 31, 2010
2. Chesapeake Ave & Hampton Roads Ave
personal doctor and friend, Dr. Cary Grayson, had advised President Wilson to make the stop for “rest and recreation,” due to the pressure of the political climate leading to World War I. Local doctor Edward Blackmore drove the presidential party from Old Point. Following the President’s wishes, no special preparations were made; he merely wanted to play a quiet game of golf. The President and Dr. Grayson played two rounds of golf, completing 18 holes in just over two hours. Both registered in the club’s visitors’ book before leaving.

The Hampton Roads Golf and Country Club closed around 1920 when the Chamberlin Hotel opened an 18-hole course. This led to the sale of the club house as a private home and permitted the Armstrong family’s land company to develop the area into the subdivision as it is known today.

Bringing History to Life
For more neighborhood information visit: www.oldewythe.com
For more visitor information visit: www.VisitHampton.com
In partnership with Virginia Civil War Trails, www.civilwartrails.org
 
Erected by Olde Wythe Neighborhood Association.
 
Location. 37° 0.007′ N, 76° 22.144′ W. Marker is in Hampton, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Chesapeake Avenue (Virginia Route 167) and Hampton Roads Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Chesapeake Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hampton VA 23661, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hampton Roads – World’s Greatest Harbor (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Admiral Sir George Cockburn on the Chesapeake / The War of 1812 (about 500 feet away); Olde Wythe During Colonial Times (approx. 0.2 miles away); Indian River Park – In The Heart Of Olde Wythe (approx. ¼ mile away); Sack of Hampton / The War of 1812 (approx. ¼ mile away); The Development Of Olde Wythe (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fertile Hunting Grounds For The Indians (approx. 0.4 miles away); Stalemate in Hampton Roads (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hampton.
 
More about this marker. On the left is "A early 1900 artist rendering of the club house." and on the right are photos of the golf course.
 
Also see . . .
1. Olde Wythe Neighborhood Association. (Submitted on August 2, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Memories and History of Hampton Virginia’s Olde Wythe Neighborhood. (Submitted on August 2, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
3. Hampton Convention & Visitor Bureau. (Submitted on August 2, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
4. Virginia Civil War Trails. (Submitted on August 2, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Sports
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 842 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 2, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement