Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Seaford in York County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Seaford

 
 
Seaford Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, July 31, 2010
1. Seaford Marker
Inscription. Settlement began here in 1636, when John Chisman patented 600 acres on Crab Neck, a peninsula bounded by Chisman Creek and Back Creek, a tributary of York River. The neck then lay in Charles River Parish in York County, one of the eight original shires created in 1634. A Confederate fortification stood near the narrowest part of the neck in 1862, and during the Civil War Union troops destroyed Zion Methodist Church here. Crab Neck post office was established in 1889; its name was changed to Seaford in 1910.
 
Erected 1992 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number NP-3.)
 
Location. 37° 11.693′ N, 76° 25.979′ W. Marker is in Seaford, Virginia, in York County. Marker is at the intersection of Seaford Road (Virginia Route 622) and Wornom Drive, on the right when traveling east on Seaford Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Seaford VA 23696, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Goodwin Neck (approx. 1.2 miles away); American Encampment (approx. 3 miles away); Moore House (approx. 3 miles away); Major General Benjamin Lincoln and His Division
Seaford Rd (facing east) image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, July 31, 2010
2. Seaford Rd (facing east)
(approx. 3 miles away); Wear Of Centuries (approx. 3.6 miles away); Virginia Militia (approx. 3.6 miles away); Wormley Creek Crossing (approx. 3.6 miles away); American Approach Road (approx. 3.7 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 4, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 597 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 4, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement