Near Farmington in Fayette County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Fort Necessity was located about 400 yards to the south in the Great Meadows. Built and commanded, 1754 by Lieutenant Colonel George Washington, aged 22. Here, after 9 hours engagement with M. Coulon de Villiers in command of 900 French regulars and their Indian allies, Washington and his 400 raw Virginia and South Carolina troops capitulated and early next morning July 4, 1754 marched out with the honors of war.
Erected 1926 by The Pennsylvania Historical Commission and Citizens of Fayette County.
Marker series. This marker is included in the George Washington Slept Here marker series.
Location. 39° 49.084′ N, 79° 35.261′ W. Marker is near Farmington, Pennsylvania, in Fayette County. Marker is on National Pike (U.S. 40) west of the entrance to Fort Necessity Nat. Battlefield, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. It is to the right of the Mount Washington Tavern, facing the road. Marker is in this post office area: Grindstone PA 15442, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The National Road (a few steps from this marker); Mount Washington Tavern (a few steps from this marker); The Great Meadows Fort Necessity (approx. ¼ mile away); The Great Meadows Campaign (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Farmington.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Necessity. National Park Service website. (Submitted on May 8, 2006.)
2. Fort Necessity - Behind the Marker. Explore PA History.com (Submitted on July 11, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 8, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 3,163 times since then and 66 times this year. This page was the Marker of the Week June 2, 2013. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 8, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 3, 4. submitted on March 31, 2008, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana.