Goliad in Goliad County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Name changed Feb.4, 1829, from La Bahia (the Bay) to Goliad. Honoring (in anagram) Mexican patriot (H)idalgo.
Capt. George Collingsworth, Ben Milam and 48 men took Mexican garrison Oct. 8, 1835. Goliad Declaration of Independence signed Dec. 20, 1835, and Goliad flag unfurled. Defender Capt. Philip Dimmit succeeded by Col. James Walker Fannin, Feb. 7, 1836. On order of Gen. Sam Houston to evacuate Goliad, Fannin on Mar. 19, moved toward Victoria. Overtaken 9 miles out by a large Mexican army, Fannin and his men battled until night, surrendered next morning. From La Bahia Prison they were marched out, massacred and partially cremated on Palm Sunday, Mar. 27, 1836. After Texas won independence, Gen. Thomas Rusk's army gave them military rites and burial, June 1836.
Goliad County Seat since 1836. Incorporated 1840 and built on present site. Received 4 leagues of land in grant signed by President Sam Houston, 1844.
Erected 1965 by State historical survey committee. (Marker Number 2200.)
Location. 28° 40.041′ N, 97° 23.477′ W. Marker is in Goliad, Texas, in Goliad County. Marker is on Market Street north of Franklin Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. In City Park/Fannin Plaza. Marker is in this post office area: Goliad TX 77963, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Goliad Tornado of 1902 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Hanging Tree (about 500 feet away); Regulators of Goliad County (about 500 feet away); Don Rafael Antonio Manchola (about 600 feet away); Santa Anna's Surrender Ratified (about 600 feet away); Judge James Arthur White and the Civilian Conservation Corps at Goliad State Park (approx. ¾ mile away); Mission Nuestra Senora Del Espiritu Santo De Zuniga (approx. ¾ mile away); Site of the Mission Nuestra Señora del Espiritu Santo de Zúñiga (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goliad.
Categories. • War, Texas Independence •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 7, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 877 times since then and 26 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on August 7, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?