Greencastle in Franklin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The First Soldier to Fall
The events at Gettysburg soon overshadowed the skirmish at Fleming farm, but the people of Greencastle remembered, as did the veterans of the 1st New York Cavalry. On June 22, 1886, Greencastle’s G.A.R. Post 438 reburied Rihl with full military honors at the spot where he fell. Exactly one year later, Pennsylvania’s state legislator erected a monument over Rihl’s new grave, honoring him as “a humble but brave defender of the Union.”
Erected by Pennsylvania Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 39° 47.43′ N, 77° 43.67′ W. Marker is in Greencastle, Pennsylvania, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of W Baltimore Street and S Carlisle Street, on the right when traveling west on W Baltimore Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greencastle PA 17225, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colonel John Allison (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain Ulric Dahlgren (within shouting distance of this marker); McCullough's Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Corporal William H. Rihl (approx. one mile away); Gettysburg Campaign (approx. one mile away); Brown's Mill School (approx. 3.1 miles away); Old Brown's Mill School (approx. 3.1 miles away); a different marker also named Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greencastle.
More about this marker. The top of the marker features a picture of a wounded Corporal William Rihl. Below this is a photograph with the caption “The monument to Corporal William Rihl, “a humble but brave defender of the Union,” erected June 22, 1888. Courtesy of the Allison-Antrim Museum.”
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 8, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 971 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 8, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.