Danbury in Stokes County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Stokes County Troops C.S.A
all who served
1861 – 1865
[ Rear of Monument: ]
Stokes Co. Historical Society and
Capt. M.W. Norfleet Camp # 1249
Sons of Confederate Veterans
May 26, 1990
Erected 1990 by Stokes County Historical Society and Capt. M.W. Norfleet Camp # 1249 Sons of Confederate Veterans.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans marker series.
Location. 36° 24.565′ N, 80° 12.366′ W. Marker is in Danbury, North Carolina, in Stokes County. Marker is on Main Street (State Highway 89), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. The marker is located in front of the Stokes County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Courthouse Circle, Danbury NC 27016, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stokes County World War I Monument (here, next to this marker); Moody Tavern (a few steps from this marker); Stoneman’s Raid (a few steps from this marker); Stack-Bickett Law Office Gabriel Moore (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Moratock Furnace (approx. 0.3 miles away); Moratock Iron Furnace (approx. half a mile away); Lewis David von Schweinitz (approx. 1.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Danbury.
More about this marker. The monument is made of red granite with a Confederate flag on the front and the image of a Confederate soldier on each side. The monument is surrounded by small markers containing the names of companies that were organized in Stokes County and served with the Confederacy.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 8, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 944 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17. submitted on August 8, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.