Scottsdale in Maricopa County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Scottsdale Grammar School / The Little Red Schoolhouse
Dedicated February 26, 1910
on the 73rd birthday of
Chaplain Winfield Scott
This building served the
people of Scottsdale as
City Hall and Justice Court
City of Scottsdale Marker:
1973 - Present Scottsdale Chamber of Commerce
Built in 1909, the school house had classrooms for grades one through eight. Between 1928, when Loloma School opened, and the 1960's, the building served as a community center for newly arrived Mexican-American residents of the community and as a school for their children. The building later served, at various times, as the City Hall, Justice Court, and Public Library. It is now the home of the Scottsdale Chamber of Commerce.
Erected 1976 by The School Children of Scottsdale - City of Scottsdale.
Location. 33° 29.577′ N, 111° 55.415′ W. Marker is in Scottsdale, Arizona, in Maricopa County. Marker can be reached from Scottsdale Mall half a mile east of North Brown Avenue. Touch for map. The school, now the home of the Scottsdale Historical Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7333 East Scottsdale Mall, Scottsdale AZ 85251, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Winfield Scott Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Permanent Home of the "Beavers" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charles Miller (approx. 0.4 miles away); Passing the Legacy (approx. 0.6 miles away); Papago Park Prisoner Of War Camp (was approx. 2 miles away but has been reported missing. ); George W. P. Hunt / Arizona's First Governor (approx. 3.1 miles away); Papago Park's Military History (approx. 3.2 miles away); Hunt Bass Hatchery (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Scottsdale.
More about this marker. This is a walk-to marker. In fact, the Scottsdale Walking Tour begins immediately in front of this building. The safest, least expensive way to reach this site is driving two blocks south of Main Street on Brown Avenue, turning east (left) into the free public parking lot. One can park within 200 feet of the school and marker.
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 8, 2010. This page has been viewed 1,461 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on August 8, 2010. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.