Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Owings in Calvert County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lower Marlboro Town

 
 
Lower Marlboro Town Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, November 6, 2007
1. Lower Marlboro Town Marker
Inscription. Originally Cox Town, named for early settlers Thomas and Henry Cox (1663). Changed to Marlborough to honor Duke for defeating French at Battle of Blenheim (1704), which reduced French and Indian attacks on the colonies. An early port of entry (1683), the town by the mid-18th century boasted warehouses, stores, taverns, a mill, racetrack, school and many stately homes. “Lower” was added to the name to distinguish it from Prince George’s County seat, and in 19th century both towns adopted “Marlboro” spelling. Patuxent Manor still stands near here. Paneling from its great room is displayed in Winterthur Museum.
 
Erected by Calvert County Historical Society, Maryland Historical Society.
 
Location. 38° 39.331′ N, 76° 40.834′ W. Marker is in Owings, Maryland, in Calvert County. Marker is on Lower Marlboro Road (Maryland Route 262) 4.1 miles from Southern Maryland Boulevard (Maryland Route 4), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Owings MD 20736, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lower Marlboro (was about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line but has been reported missing. ); Town Ravaged
Lower Marlboro Town Marker-Freedom Day image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, February 10, 2015
2. Lower Marlboro Town Marker-Freedom Day
(about 700 feet away); Up in Flames (approx. 1.3 miles away); Warships and Raids (approx. 2.1 miles away); Calvert County (approx. 3.3 miles away); A County in Ruin (approx. 3.3 miles away); Nottingham (approx. 3.9 miles away); All Saints Episcopal Church (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Owings.
 
Categories. Colonial EraIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Lower Marlboro Freedom Marker in front of Church Hall image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, February 10, 2015
3. Lower Marlboro Freedom Marker in front of Church Hall
Lower Marlboro Church Hall image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, November 6, 2007
4. Lower Marlboro Church Hall
The marker is located in front of the Church Hall.
Patuxent River at Lower Marlboro image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, November 6, 2007
5. Patuxent River at Lower Marlboro
View from the end of Lower Marlboro Road, where a nearby marker describes how the town was affected by the War of 1812.
Harbormaster's House image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, November 6, 2007
6. Harbormaster's House
The sign in front of this building states "Harbormaster's House c1670".
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 9, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,069 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on November 9, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.   2, 3. submitted on February 17, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234.   4, 5, 6. submitted on November 9, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement