Near Bellefontaine in Logan County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Logan County, On Top of Ohio
A stockade, built 1812 by
James Manary, for Ranger
troops defending the frontier
along the Greenville Treaty
Line. Storage base for army
and refuge for settlers
in War of 1812.
Erected 1947 by Logan County Historical Society.
Location. 40° 23.648′ N, 83° 47.673′ W. Marker is near Bellefontaine, Ohio, in Logan County. Marker is on County Road 130 (Ohio Route 117) 0.2 miles south of County Route 91, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bellefontaine OH 43311, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hull's Army in 1812 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bellefontaine Airport Pylon (approx. 2.1 miles away); Harmon Field (approx. 2½ miles away); Blair Casey Park (approx. 2½ miles away); Huntsville, Ohio Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.6 miles away); Powell Park, the Old Burial Ground (approx. 2.7 miles away); Lewis R. Ratleff Park (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Railroad in Logan County (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bellefontaine.
Related markers. Click list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . .
1. Logan County Historical Markers. This link provides information to the Logan County Historic Drive-It-Yourself Tour. (Submitted on August 9, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Ohio Forts. This is a link to information provided by a web site entitled "American Forts." (Submitted on August 9, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
3. Hull's Road. This is a link to information provided by Ohio History Central, an online encyclopedia of Ohio History. (Submitted on August 13, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
1. Bokengahelis Town
Ohio Historical Society records report a boulder with plaque marking "Bokengahelis Town". This boulder is lost, but the plaque has been found in the basement of the museum in Bellefontaine. Period documents (1812) confirm that Manary was instructed to build this blockhouse on the site of Bokenahelis Town. The site of both the blockhouse and the boulder have been verified by myself, and a member of the McPherson family. The Manary House is mentioned multiple times in period (1812) reports and diaries. There were two blockhouses, a trading post, multiple springs,
— Submitted June 20, 2012, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 9, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 987 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 9, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 23, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.