Goliad in Goliad County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Regulators of Goliad County
Gen. J.J. Reynolds, commander of the Federal forces, appointed Jack Helm special marshal to the Goliad area in June 1868. A former deputy sheriff of DeWitt County, Helm captained a vigilante band of 50 men, mostly local ranchers, known as the Regulators. Based at Middletown (now Weesatche), these volunteers pursued criminals with vigor and often with cruelty. They ordered known and suspected lawbreakers to leave the state within 10 days. Those who defied the warning were shot without benefit of trial. In 1870 Helm was appointed by Gov. E.J. Davis to the newly formed state police force but was soon discharged for his ruthlessness.
The activities of the Regulators and of the Texas Rangers, reorganized under Gov. Richard Coke in 1874, did much to restore order in this area. By 1876, most of the violators had left, and the regulators were able to devote their time to ranching and farming.
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4236.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Goliad TX 77963, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Don Rafael Antonio Manchola (a few steps from this marker); Goliad Tornado of 1902 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hanging Tree (within shouting distance of this marker); Santa Anna's Surrender Ratified (within shouting distance of this marker); Goliad (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mission Nuestra Senora Del Espiritu Santo De Zuniga (approx. 0.7 miles away); Site of the Mission Nuestra Señora del Espiritu Santo de Zúñiga (approx. 0.7 miles away); Presidio de Nuestra Señora de Loreto de la Bahía (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goliad.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 9, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 867 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 9, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.