Goliad in Goliad County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Don Rafael Antonio Manchola
During the 1829 legislature session, Manchola helped establish the municipality of Guadalupe Victoria. He also corresponded with Stephen F. Austin about Texas' welfare, and he declared his support for the separate statehood of Coahuila and Texas. That year he petitioned the state to change La Bahia's name to Goliad, an anagram of the name of Father Miguel Hidalgo, hero of the Mexican Revolution.
Throughout his career, Manchola's work included strong advocacy for democracy and for increasing Anglo settlement. In 1832, he planned to accompany William Wharton to Mexico City to petition for statehood for Coahuila and Texas, but the trip was cancelled. The following July, he died of cholera during an epidemic, leaving behind his wife and seven-year-old daughter Francisca. Although his
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13441.)
Location. 28° 39.948′ N, 97° 23.489′ W. Marker is in Goliad, Texas, in Goliad County. Marker is on South Market Street south of North Courthouse Square, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. In the courthouse square. Marker is in this post office area: Goliad TX 77963, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Regulators of Goliad County (a few steps from this marker); Goliad Tornado of 1902 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hanging Tree (within shouting distance of this marker); Santa Anna's Surrender Ratified (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Goliad (about 600 feet away); Mission Nuestra Senora Del Espiritu Santo De Zuniga (approx. 0.7 miles away); Site of the Mission Nuestra Señora del Espiritu Santo de Zúñiga (approx. 0.7 miles away); Presidio de Nuestra Señora de Loreto de la Bahía (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goliad.
Categories. • War, Texas Independence •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 9, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,006 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 9, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.