Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Royal Oak in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Royal Oak Methodist Episcopal Church

 
 
Royal Oak Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., August 7, 2010
1. Royal Oak Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription. On May 3, 1918, the Royal Oak Tribune boasted that, "architecturally and artistically," the new Methodist Episcopal Church was "the achievement of a master mind." William E. N. Hunter, a Detroit architect and Methodist who designed many Protestant churches, provided the plans for this Collegiate Gothic-style church, now known as First United Methodist Church. The Methodist Episcopal congregation was the first church organized in Royal Oak. It was established in 1838, and five years later its members built a wood-frame church on this site. In 1894 the frame church was replaced with one built of bricks manufactured and donated by Edwin A. Starr. By 1915 a new church was needed to accommodate the growing membership. The education wing was added in 1928.
 
Erected 1990 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1562.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 29.087′ N, 83° 8.802′ W. Marker is in Royal Oak, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is at the intersection of South Washington Avenue and West Seventh Street, on the right when traveling south on South Washington Avenue. Touch for map.
Royal Oak Methodist Episcopal Church Marker - far image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., August 7, 2010
2. Royal Oak Methodist Episcopal Church Marker - far
Marker is at or near this postal address: 320 West Seventh Street, Royal Oak MI 48067, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Royal Oak Woman's Club (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Baptist Church of Royal Oak (approx. half a mile away); Ridge Road (approx. mile away); Polar Bears (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Royal Oak (approx. one mile away); Royal Oak Township Cemetery / Saint Mary Catholic Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Fred A. Baker House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Ferndale School (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Royal Oak.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Royal Oak Methodist Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., August 7, 2010
3. Royal Oak Methodist Episcopal Church
Memorial Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., August 7, 2010
4. Memorial Marker
Dedicated to
Ernest H. Mercill
1880 - 1931
Pioneer in Royal Oak
Scout Movement.
"He cared for other folks' boys."
* * *
Erected by
Scout troops of First M. E. Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 720 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 10, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement