Salisbury in Rowan County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Legacy of the Past
After the Civil War began in 1861, Hall served as hospital surgeon at the Confederate States Military Prison at Salisbury. Two years later, the Confederacy built a new general hospital that served wounded soldiers arriving on railroad cars and was always “full to overflowing.” Hall remained as surgeon in charge at the prison until the war ended and also served other local military hospitals.
To feed the army, the Confederate government asked farmers to donate ten percent of their farm produce. Hall owned extensive agricultural property near his home in Salisbury. In 1864, the value of his tithe was $4,470, and in 1865, when approached again for help, he was still able to give two barrels of flour and 150 pounds of bacon.
After the war, Hall requested and received a pardon from the U.S. government and returned to his pre-war endeavors in farming and real estate. He died in 1873, but his family and descendents lived in the house until 1972 when Historic Salisbury Foundation purchased it and many of the original furnishings from his great-granddaughter.
Erected by Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the North Carolina Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 35° 40.064′ N, 80° 28.445′ W. Marker is in Salisbury, North Carolina, in Rowan County. Marker is on S Jackson Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located between W Bank and W Fisher Streets. Marker is at or near this postal address: 272 S Jackson Street, Salisbury NC 28144, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Maxwell Chambers House (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Salisbury Confederate Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Andrew Jackson (approx. 0.2 miles away); City of Salisbury (approx. 0.2 miles away); Meroney’s Theatre (approx. 0.2 miles away); John W. Ellis (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lee S. Overman (approx. ¼ mile away); Old English Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salisbury.
More about this marker. The bottom left of the marker contains a photograph of Hall House, circa 1869. The upper left features a portrait of Dr. Josephus Wells Hall, and a copy of “Hall’s pardon, signed by President Andrew
Also see . . . Western North Carolina Civil War Sites. North Carolina Civil War Trails (Submitted on August 11, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 770 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 10, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.