Near Warm Springs in Bath County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Virginia Springs Resorts
Although the mineral waters were known to Williamsburg residents as early as 1716, the first bath house was built in Warm Springs in 1761. The 120-foot diameter octagonal structure still stands today, located just north of the Bath County Courthouse in Warm Springs. By 1800, more than a dozen local springs were collectively known as the Virginia Springs, including Warm Springs, Hot Springs, Healing Springs, White Sulphur Springs, Blue Springs, Salt Sulphur Springs, Red Sulphur Springs, Sweet Springs, and several others. Each spring was believed to have curative powers over specific organs of the body. The Warm Springs pools were said to be especially effective in the treatment of liver and bowel disorders.
The springs were especially popular with the upper class, as a visit required considerable
Erected by Virginia Department of Transportation.
Location. 38° 3.065′ N, 79° 45.964′ W. Marker is near Warm Springs, Virginia, in Bath County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 39 and Homestead Mountain Drive, on the right when traveling west on State Highway 39. Touch for map. Located at the Dan Ingalls Overlook in George Washington National Forest. Marker is in this post office area: Warm Springs VA 24484, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Settlement on Warm Springs Mountain (here, next to this marker); Life at the Tollhouse (a few steps from this marker); The Turnpike Movement in Virginia, 1825-1835 (a few steps from this marker); The Rev. Dr. William H. Sheppard (approx. 0.8 miles away); Early Bath County Courthouses (approx. 0.8 miles away); Terrill Hill (approx. 0.8 miles away); Mary Johnston (approx. 1.1 miles away); The County Seat of Bath (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Warm Springs.
Categories. • Natural Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 653 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 10, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2, 3. submitted on August 11, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.