Custer in Custer County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Civilian Conservation Corps Camp
The Civilian Conservation Corps was a federal relief program during 1933-1942 that gave jobless men work renovating abused lands. The Army built 48 200-man camps in South Dakota and provided food, clothing, medical care, pay and programs of education, recreation and religion for 23,709 enrollees (single men aged 17-25 who sent $25 of their $30 wage to their families) and war veterans. Camps and work projects were supervised by another 2834 men. The Office of Indian Affairs ran small units for 4554 American Indians.
Camp F-14 was part of a national CCC program to renovate forests and build more recreation areas. Work projects, supervised by the USDA Forest Service, included tree thinning, pruning and planting; fire prevention and suppression; rodent, disease and insect control; grazing land improvement and recreation area development. Veterans from North Dakota and Iowa in Company 1783V devoted most of their time to camp improvement and tree thinning. Enrollees in Company 791 operated sidecamps at Drew and Summit Peak ranger stations, Compton Spring, Billy Hay Pen and Freeland Wells. They built a ranger station, garage, roads, several bridges, telephone lines and firetrails and quelled fires. CCs dug
Erected 1991 by CCC Alumni, the South Dakota State Historical Society, the South Dakota Department of Transportation, and the Black Hills National Forest.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
Location. 43° 44.158′ N, 103° 42.367′ W. Marker is in Custer, South Dakota, in Custer County. Marker is at the intersection of Mt. Rushmore Road (U.S. 16) and Lightning Creek Road (County Road 287), on the right when traveling west on Mt. Rushmore Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Custer SD 57730, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jasper vs. Jewel (approx. 6.2 miles away); Prescribed Fire (approx. 6.2 miles away); The Hearst Highway (approx. 6.7 miles away); Jasper Fire (approx. 7.7 miles away); Campsite of General Custer's Expedition (approx. 8.7 miles away); The Needles Eye (approx. 10.9 miles away); Hill City (approx. 14.9 miles away); The Black Hills Central Railroad (approx. 15.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Custer.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. (other Civilian Conservation Corps Camp markers)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 843 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 11, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.