Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sturgis in Meade County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Civilian Conservation Corps Camps

 
 
Civilian Conservation Corps Camps Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, August 7, 2010
1. Civilian Conservation Corps Camps Marker
Inscription. Camps D-Army-1 & SCS-6 (Fechner): 1/2 mile S on W edge of Ft. Meade D-Army-1 company: 2758--7/20/34-10/31/35. SCS-6 companies: 2765--10/15/36-5/27/42; 4725V--5/28/42-7/27/42.

The Civilian Conservation Corps was a federal work-relief program during the Great Depression. From 1933 to 1942, the CCC provided work for 31,097 jobless men in South Dakota--about 22,000 enrollees (single men aged 17-25), about 1,700 veterans, 4,554 American Indians and 2,834 supervisors. The U.S. Army provided 200-man camps, food, clothing, medical care and pay, and educational, recreational and religious programs. The Office of Indian Affairs provided similar services for units on Indian reservations.

D-Army-1 was the only camp in South Dakota where work was supervised by the U.S. Army. Enrollees provided services for CCC district headquarters and made physical improvements to Fort Meade. Work of SCS-6, supervised by the Soil Conservation Service, was done on private lands. Enrollees demonstrated the value of contour and strip erosion, prevent runoff and better utilize grazing land. The camp, which billeted the district headquarters staff, was used as a prisoner-of-war compound during WWII.
 
Erected 1990 by CCC Alumni, the South Dakota State Historical Society, the State Department of Transportation, and
Civilian Conservation Corps Camps Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, August 7, 2010
2. Civilian Conservation Corps Camps Marker
Looking west toward Fort Meade
the Soil Conservation Service.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
 
Location. 44° 24.716′ N, 103° 28.971′ W. Marker is in Sturgis, South Dakota, in Meade County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 34 and Custer Avenue, on the left when traveling east on State Highway 34. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sturgis SD 57785, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bear Butte (Mato Paha) Indian Camp (here, next to this marker); Bear Butte (approx. 2.1 miles away); Camp J.G. Sturgis / Scooptown (approx. 5.6 miles away); Multiple Purpose Management in Action (approx. 16.1 miles away); Civilian Conservation Corps Camp (approx. 16.4 miles away).
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. (other Civilian Conservation Corps Camp markers)
 
Additional keywords. Great Depression
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkNative Americans
 
Civilian Conservation Corps Camps Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, August 7, 2010
3. Civilian Conservation Corps Camps Marker
Looking east with the Bear Butte (Mato Paha) Indian Camp marker in the background
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 8, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,048 times since then and 27 times this year. Last updated on August 11, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 8, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement