Lusby in Calvert County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Cove Point Lighthouse
Built in 1828, the oldest operating lighthouse in Maryland. The prism lens used today was manufactured in Paris and installed in 1897. The original 38-foot tower was built of locally manufactured brick and was raised about 1912 to 51 feet. In 1953 the tower was resurfaced with concrete. The beacon, automated in 1986, beams a 150,000 candlepower light 21 miles. Nearby, on August 22, 1864, Confederate sympathizers drove away Federal troops investigating blockage running.
Listed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1973.
Erected by Maryland Historical Society and Maryland Historical Trust.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. 38° 23.153′ N, 76° 22.975′ W. Marker is in Lusby, Maryland, in Calvert County. Marker is on Cove Point Road (Maryland Route 497) 3.4 miles east of Solomons Island Road (Route 2 / 4) when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lusby MD 20657, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. The Cliffs of Calvert (approx. 3 miles away); Middleham Chapel (approx. 3.1 miles away); Morgan Hill Farm (approx. Preston on Patuxent (approx. 4½ miles away); Amphibious Training Base (approx. 5.2 miles away); Wm. B. Tennison (approx. 5.8 miles away); Drum Point Lighthouse (approx. 5.8 miles away); Menace on the Horizon (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lusby.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 10, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,202 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 28, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 10, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.