Near Port Republic in Calvert County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected by Maryland Historical Society.
Location. 38° 29.638′ N, 76° 32.207′ W. Marker is near Port Republic, Maryland, in Calvert County. Marker is on Broomes Island Road (Route 264) 0.4 miles south of Solomons Island Road (Route 2 / 4), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Republic MD 20676, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. One-Room School (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); School #7 (about 500 feet away); Veitch’s Cove (approx. 1.7 miles away); Turning Point (approx. 2.3 miles away); St. Leonard Polling House and Garden of Remembrance (approx. 2.3 miles away); Battle Creek Cypress Swamp (approx. 2.9 miles away); St. Leonard Creek (approx. 3.8 miles away); Early Settlements (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Republic.
Also see . . .
1. Maryland Historical Trust page on Christ Church. “Christ Church is significant both historically and architecturally, as the mother Episcopal Church of Calvert County and its oldest continually worshipping congregation and as a fine country church which retains its colonial character. The architectural significance derives from its evolution from the 18th century to the present. The church incorporated the form and fabric associated with 18th century ecclesiastical tidewater architecture. The bell cot and buttresses are drawn from the Gothic Revival. The heavy scroll brackets, window treatment, and plaster covering of the brick walls have 19th century sources, most particularly in domestic architecture; and the stained glass windows reflect the taste of the mid 20th century.” (Submitted on November 10, 2007.)
2. National Register Nomination Form. "Christ Church was erected in 1772 and as it stands today retains its colonial character and form. Subsequent renovations in 1792, 1838, 1862, 18?2, 1906, 1928-29, and 1968 make it an interesting illustration of rural ecclesiastical church architectural development." (Submitted on June 22, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 10, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,498 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 10, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 22, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.