Near Adrian in Nobles County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Early roads established by the federal government were built to "facilitate the business of government". Establishing routes between military posts was the first order of business. In 1820 efforts were made to establish a road between Fort Snelling and Camp Missouri (located near present day Omaha, Nebraska), but surveys did not find a good route. In 1836 the U.S. Congress appropriated $100,000 to fund a road to connect the Red River of the North with Arkansas. Captain Nathan Boone arrived at Fort Snelling to begin the survey work in 1838, but it was never completed.
Not until the 1850s were the first military roads built. A law requiring the Secretary of War to construct certain roads in the Territory of Minnesota was passed on July 18, 1850. They were as follows: the Mendota-Wabasha Road, the Point Douglas-St. Louis River Road, the Point Douglas-Fort Ripley Road and the Red River Addition, the Swan River-Long
Erected 1997 by the Minnesota Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Minnesota Historical Society marker series.
Location. 43° 38.218′ N, 95° 58.885′ W. Marker is near Adrian, Minnesota, in Nobles County. Marker can be reached from Interstate 90 2 miles west of State Highway 91, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. The marker is at a rest area on eastbound Interstate 90. Marker is in this post office area: Adrian MN 56110, United States of America.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 15, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,109 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 15, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.