Starke in Bradford County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Woman's Club of Starke
The Womanís Club of Starke, formerly known as the Motherís Club, was founded in the late 19th century and held its meetings in the Bradford County High School. Their purpose was to assist the Bradford County High School. Only mothers were accepted as active members with teachers as honorary members. One of their earliest projects was furnishing a room in the school or a library and a study for the principal. They also provided students with books and clothing and hired a janitor to do maintenance. In 1913, the Motherís Club reorganized and changed its name to the Womanís Club of Starke. One year later, after the school moved to a different site, the Womanís Club began using the school building as its headquarters. In 1917, with the approach of World War I, the building was turned over to the Red Cross. Club women made hospital blankets, Christmas kits for troops and shipped clothing to allies. In 1921, the Board of Education gave the school building to the Womanís Club, at which time it was remodeled. Some of the lumber from the
original structure was used in the new construction. The new craftsman/bungalow building opened on November 3, 1922. Projects undertaken in the 1920s by the Womanís Club included a drive to remove cows from the streets, development of a city park and municipal suffrage.
Erected 2001 by The Little Woman's Club of Starke and The Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-431.)
Location. 29° 56.709′ N, 82° 6.569′ W. Marker is in Starke, Florida, in Bradford County. Marker is on North Walnut Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located between Jackson and Jefferson Streets. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 N. Walnut Street, Starke FL 32091, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured Captain Richard C. Bradford (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Camp Blanding (approx. 7.9 miles away); Waldo (approx. 11.3 miles away); Dickison and His Men / Jefferson Davis' Baggage (approx. 11.3 miles away); For All Who Served (approx. 11.4 miles away); The Bellamy Road (approx. 15.7 miles away).
Regarding Woman's Club of Starke. National Register of Historic Places:
Woman's Club of Starke (added 1997 - Building - #97000350)
201 N. Walnut St., Starke
♦ Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Event
♦Architect, builder, or engineer: Bell, C.W.S., McKay,George W.
♦Architectural Style: Bungalow/Craftsman
♦Area of Significance: Architecture, Social History
♦Period of Significance: 1900-1924, 1925-1949
Categories. • Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 17, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,101 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 17, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.