Near Social Circle in Newton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
December 24, 1821
The first justices of the inferior court were George Cunningham, Larkin Dunn, Willoughby Hammack and George Lane. The first sheriff was Lemuel Wynne.
The building and land were deeded to the Newton County Historical Society by Charles M. Jordan in 1971.
Erected 1990 by Newton County Historical Society Landmarks Committee. (Marker Number 1.)
Location. 33° 36.107′ N, 83° 44.687′ W. Marker is near Social Circle, Georgia, in Newton County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 278 and Old Social Circle Road, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 278. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12931 US Highway 278, Social Circle GA 30025, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sherman at Harris’ Quarters (approx. 3 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 3.9 miles away); In Memory of Emma Sansom (approx. 4 miles away); Hightower Trail (approx. Social Circle (approx. 4.1 miles away); Mansfield's First School (approx. 5.7 miles away); Mansfield's Famous Southpaw (approx. 5.9 miles away); Confederate Dead & Hospitals (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Social Circle.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 17, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 751 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 17, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 4. submitted on August 29, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.