Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Solomons in Calvert County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Chesapeake Biological Laboratory

 
 
Chesapeake Biological Laboratory Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, November 7, 2007
1. Chesapeake Biological Laboratory Marker
Inscription. Founded by R.V. Truitt, 1925. Sponsored by Maryland Conservation Department since 1931, in cooperation with Carnegie Institution, Johns Hopkins and Maryland universities, Goucher, St. John's, Washington, and Western Maryland colleges "to afford a research study center where facts tending toward a fuller appreciation of nature may be gathered and disseminated."
 
Location. 38° 19.093′ N, 76° 27.199′ W. Marker is in Solomons, Maryland, in Calvert County. Marker is on Farren Avenue 0.1 miles south of Charles Street (Maryland Route 2), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is on the end of Solomons Island, just across the street from a long pier into the mouth of the Patuxent River. Marker is in this post office area: Solomons MD 20688, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Enemy Blockade (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); M. M. Davis Shipyard (approx. half a mile away); J. C. Lore & Sons Oyster House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Solomon's Island (approx. 0.8 miles away); Wm. B. Tennison (approx. one mile away); Drum Point Lighthouse
Chesapeake Biological Laboratory image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, November 7, 2007
2. Chesapeake Biological Laboratory
(approx. 1.1 miles away); a different marker also named Drum Point Lighthouse (approx. 1.1 miles away); Menace on the Horizon (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Solomons.
 
Categories. 20th CenturyEducationScience & Medicine
 
Solomons House image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, November 7, 2007
3. Solomons House
This house was the home of Isaac Solomon in 1865, from whom Solomons Island got its name. Portions of the building are dated from 1780. It is now the lab's visitor center, located at Charles Street and Farren Avenue.
Patuxent River image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, November 7, 2007
4. Patuxent River
View of the Patuxent River from the lawn of the Chesapeake Biological Laboratory.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,138 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 11, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement