Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Saint Leonard in Calvert County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Early Settlements

 
 
Early Settlements Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, November 7, 2007
1. Early Settlements Marker
Inscription. Town of St. Leonard was originally, in 1663, at mouth of St. Leonard Creek. By 1706, when chartered by Maryland General Assembly as a port of entry, it had been moved to head of creek near here. British forces burned its wharves and warehouses July 4, 1814. After 1900, town gradually shifted to its present location 3 miles north.
 
Erected by Calvert County Historical Society, Maryland Historical Society.
 
Location. 38° 26.996′ N, 76° 29.637′ W. Marker is in Saint Leonard, Maryland, in Calvert County. Marker is at the intersection of Parran Road and Solomons Island Road (Maryland Route 2/4), on the right when traveling west on Parran Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Leonard MD 20685, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Leonard Creek (here, next to this marker); Brewhouse (here, next to this marker); St. Leonard Polling House and Garden of Remembrance (approx. 1.6 miles away); Turning Point (approx. 1.6 miles away); Preston on Patuxent (approx. 3.1 miles away); Veitch’s Cove
Town's Present Location image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, November 7, 2007
2. Town's Present Location
(approx. 3.3 miles away); Excavation Process Gathers the Most Information (approx. 3.4 miles away); Evidence Found in the Ground (approx. 3.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint Leonard.
 
Categories. Colonial EraIndustry & CommerceMilitarySettlements & SettlersWar of 1812
 
Three Markers image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, November 7, 2007
3. Three Markers
The Early Settlements marker is one of three markers that stand next to each other at this intersection.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,622 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 11, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement