Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Middletown in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old St. Anne's

(P. E. Church)

 
 
Old St. Anne's Marker image. Click for full size.
By Adam Margolis
1. Old St. Anne's Marker
Inscription. As early as 1705 a log chapel was established at '' Appoquinimy' by the S.P.G. with the Rev. Thomas Jenkins appointed its first missionary, 1708. Queen Anne of England, for whom the Church was named, is said to have been a patron. This Church was built 1765-1771 through efforts of the Rev. Philip Reading, buried here in 1778.
 
Erected 1951. (Marker Number NC-74.)
 
Location. 39° 26.155′ N, 75° 42.763′ W. Marker is in Middletown, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Summit Bridge Road just from St. Annes Church Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Townsend DE 19734, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. This Tree Was Living When William Penn Came to Pennsylvania (within shouting distance of this marker); Three Welsh Members (within shouting distance of this marker); Sgt. William Lloyd Nelson (approx. half a mile away); Union Lodge No. 5 A.F.&A.M. (approx. 0.7 miles away); Middletown (approx. one mile away); Middletown Academy
Old St. Anne's National Register of Historic Places Marker image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, May 18, 2014
2. Old St. Anne's National Register of Historic Places Marker
(approx. 1.1 miles away); Former Site of the Alston and Hunn Farms (approx. 1.5 miles away); Appoquinimink Friends Meeting House (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Middletown.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Markers image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, May 18, 2014
3. Markers
St. Anne's Church, historic marker, and National Register marker near the front gate.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 21, 2010. This page has been viewed 835 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on August 21, 2010, by Adam Margolis of Mission Viejo, California.   2, 3. submitted on May 19, 2014, by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement