Wauwatosa in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Milwaukee County's First Airport
The nation’s first commercial air transport, the Lawson Airliner, took off from this field on August 27, 1919 on a demonstration flight to New York City and Washington, D.C., and returned on November 14, 1919. This two-engined biplane, 95 feet in wingspan, carried 16 passengers and two pilots.
Milwaukee’s first airmail was flown from here on June 7, 1926 by the Charles Dickinson line, operating from Chicago to St. Paul via Milwaukee and La Crosse.
This airport was deactivated during November, 1926 when the need for more space led the County to purchase Hamilton Airport, the site of present General Mitchell Field.
Erected 1969 by Milwaukee County Park Commission Milwaukee County Historical Society. (Marker Number 168.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 43° 5.062′ N, 88° 3.151′ W. Marker is in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker can be reached from Mayfair Road ¼ mile south of West Capitol Drive. Touch for map. Marker is located in Currie
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oak Hill Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); George L. Clarke House (approx. 1.7 miles away); Milwaukee County Asylum Cemetery (approx. 2.6 miles away); Revolutionary War Veteran (approx. 2.7 miles away); Charles Hart Homestead (approx. 2.9 miles away); Lowell Damon House (approx. 2.9 miles away); Wauwatosa Avenue Historic District (approx. 2.9 miles away); Milwaukee County Cemetery (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wauwatosa.
Categories. • Air & Space •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 23, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 692 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 23, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.