Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Marys in Pottawatomie County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

St. Marys

 
 
St. Mary's Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, July 1, 2010
1. St. Mary's Marker
Inscription. This city and college take their name from St. Mary's Catholic Mission founded here by the Jesuits in 1848 for the Pottawatomie Indians. These missionaries, who had lived with the tribe in eastern Kansas from 1838, accompanied the removal to this area. A manual labor school was operated at the mission until 1871. From it developed St. Mary's College, chartered in 1869. In 1931 the college became a Jesuit seminary. A boulder on the campus marks the site of the first cathedral between the Missouri river and the Rocky Mountains. Built of logs in 1849, it became the See of Bishop Miege "Bishop of the Indians." Vice President Charles Curtis, part Kaw Indian, was baptized in this parish on April 15, 1860.

The mission was an important stopping point on the Oregon trail. Here also was the U.S. Pottawatomie agency. This building still stands 600 feet northwest of this marker.
 
Erected by Kansas Historical Society and State Highway Commission. (Marker Number 18.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kansas Historical Society, the Oregon Trail, and the Potawatomi Trail of Death marker series.
 
Location. 39° 11.4′ N, 96° 3.617′ W. Marker is in St. Marys, Kansas, in Pottawatomie County. Marker is at the intersection of East Bertrand Street
St. Mary's Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, July 1, 2010
2. St. Mary's Marker
(U.S. 24) and Grand Avenue, on the right when traveling east on East Bertrand Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 203 East Bertrand Street, Saint Marys KS 66536, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the Oregon Trail (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Indian Pay Station Museum (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Marys Vietnam Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Potawatomi Pay Station & St. Marys Mission (approx. 0.7 miles away); Old Fire and Curfew Bell (approx. 0.7 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.9 miles away); Bluestem in the Flint Hills / Beecher Bibles (approx. 9.6 miles away); Historical Kansas (approx. 9.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Marys.
 
Categories. EducationNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
St. Mary's Memorial image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, July 1, 2010
3. St. Mary's Memorial
To the Sons of St. Mary's College who served their Country in THE WORLD WAR, The Alumni have built this Memorial.
Pottawatomie Agency building (Indian Pay Station) image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, July 1, 2010
4. Pottawatomie Agency building (Indian Pay Station)
Located on the grounds of the St. Mary's Historical Society museum.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 23, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 753 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 23, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement