Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Norfolk, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Downtown Waterfront Revitalization

 
 
Downtown Waterfront Revitalization Marker image. Click for full size.
By Laura Troy, November 4, 2007
1. Downtown Waterfront Revitalization Marker
Inscription. In the 1950s the downtown waterfront contained an assortment of aging facilities-wharves, warehouses, rail lines, ship chandlers, tugboat operations, and ferry docks. The city of Norfolk made a significant decision. An area of downtown along the Elizabeth River should be transformed from a working waterfront into a public waterfront. As the old was cleared, the new appeared, beginning with the public esplanade and hotel in 1974. The first Harborfest celebration in 1977 demonstrated that public attractions could help revitalize downtown. Town Point Park and the Waterside Festival marketplace opened in 1983. Nauticus, the national Maritime Center, anchored the west end of the waterfront in 1994.

The three cannons at the head of Otter Berth were found during the dredging of this part of the waterfront in 1982. They are of unknown foreign origin, but their vintage is compatible with the bombardment of Norfolk on January 1, 1776. Otter Berth is named for HMS Otter, one of Lord Dunmore’s ships that bombarded Norfolk on January 1, 1776.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia, Norfolk Heritage Cannonball Trail marker series.
 
Location. 36° 50.793′ N, 76° 17.718′ W. Marker is in Norfolk, Virginia. Marker can
Town Point Park image. Click for full size.
By Laura Troy, November 4, 2007
2. Town Point Park
be reached from Waterside Drive near Boush Avenue. Touch for map. This marker is located on a dock at the Waterside Shopping area. Marker is in this post office area: Norfolk VA 23510, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Armed Forces Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Half Moone Fort, 1673 (about 400 feet away); The Cedar (about 400 feet away); Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway (about 400 feet away); Surveying the Land & Sea (about 400 feet away); The First Battle of Ironclad Ships, 1862 (about 400 feet away); Navy Escort Carriers Based in Norfolk (about 400 feet away); Flood Protection for Downtown Norfolk (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Norfolk.
 
More about this marker. This marker is part of the Norfolk Heritage Cannonball Trail.
 
Red Cannon near Joes Crab Shack image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, August 11, 2010
3. Red Cannon near Joes Crab Shack
They are of Revolutionary War vintage and are of unknown foreign origin.
Red Cannon near Joes Crab Shack at Waterside Market Place image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, August 11, 2010
4. Red Cannon near Joes Crab Shack at Waterside Market Place
Cannon image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, August 11, 2010
5. Cannon
They are of Revolutionary War vintage and are of unknown foreign origin.
The Tourists image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, August 11, 2010
6. The Tourists
Chaim Cross American, B. 1904 The Tourists Bronze On loan from the Chrysler Museum, Norfolk, Virginia: Gift of the Artist
Nauticus image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, August 11, 2010
7. Nauticus
Naval Museum & Anchor image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, August 11, 2010
8. Naval Museum & Anchor
Town Point Park Renovation image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, August 11, 2010
9. Town Point Park Renovation
South Waterfront Improvements image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, August 11, 2010
10. South Waterfront Improvements
Dedicated to the citizens of Norfolk October 16, 1983
Norfolk 1862 image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, August 11, 2010
11. Norfolk 1862
Town Point is where Norfolk began. In 1680 the General Assembly of his Majesty's Colony of Virginia enacted a law requiring each county to establish and develop a town site. In lower Norfolk County fifty acres of land at the entrance of Elizabeth River were purchased from Nicholas Wise, thus assuring the town of good water access to the surrounding areas. County surveyor John Ferebee laid out Front Street ( now Main Street) on high ground and the town was divided into half-acre sites for dwelling houses and warehouses. The original town was almost completely surrounded by water. Access by land was limited to a single road which later became Church Street (now Lower St. Paul's Boulevard). The town covered what is now the southern portion of downtown Norfolk, bounded generally the river on the south and west. City Hall Avenue on the north and Interstate 264 on the East. The cannon displayed here were unearthed in 1982 from Otter Berth and Town Point Park. They are of Revolutionary War vintage and are of unknown foreign origin. The carriages were constructed of white oak to 18th century specifications by members of Norfolk Rotary Club. Presented to the Citizens of Norfolk by Norfolk Rotary Club on July 4, 1986.
Waterfront ~Marina image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, August 11, 2010
12. Waterfront ~Marina
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,269 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 11, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia.   3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on September 22, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement