Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Princeton in Mercer County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Princeton

 
 
Princeton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, August 21, 2010
1. Princeton Marker
Inscription. Scene of several actions, May 1862, between Federal troops from General Cox's army and Confederate forces under Jenifer and Wharton. When the Confederates abandoned their camp here, the town was set on fire and partially burned.
 
Erected by West Virginia Division of Culture & History.
 
Location. 37° 21.957′ N, 81° 6.184′ W. Marker is in Princeton, West Virginia, in Mercer County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (West Virginia Route 20) and Scott Street (U.S. 19), on the left when traveling west on West Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1501 East Main Street, Princeton WV 24740, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. American Revolution Bicentennial Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); Richard Blankenship (within shouting distance of this marker); McNutt House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battle of Pigeon's Roost (approx. 0.3 miles away); Elizabeth Kee (approx. 9.5 miles away); Bluefield (approx. 9.5 miles away); Andrew Davidson (approx. 9.8 miles away); Bluefield State Teacherís College (approx. 10 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Princeton.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Wide view of the Princeton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, August 21, 2010
2. Wide view of the Princeton Marker
Located on the front lawn of the Mercer County Courthouse.
Dr. Robert B. McNutt House (1840) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, August 21, 2010
3. Dr. Robert B. McNutt House (1840)
This National Register of Historic Places-listed building served as the headquarters of future Presidents Rutherford B. Hayes and William McKinley during the Civil War. It was the only structure to remain after town was burned by the evacuating Confederates in 1862. Today it has been restored and serves as the home of the Princeton-Mercer County Chamber of Commerce.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 705 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 24, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement