Near Eatonton in Putnam County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Philadelphia United Methodist Church
Inscription. In 1839, Philadelphia Sunday School Society was organized and a house of warship was built on a tract of land on Lick Creek donated by the Turner family. Joel Chandler Harris, while he lived in Turnworld Plantation, attended this church with his mentor Joseph Addison Turner, editor of The Countryman. Near the close of the Civil War, in late November 1864, General William Tecumseh Sherman's 20th US Army Corps passed through the neighborhood of the church on his infamous “March To The Sea” to capture the port city of Savannah for President Lincoln. Confederate soldiers who were on picket duty and camped near Philadelphia Church posted the following notice: “Soldier of the Union Army -- Deface not this church, nor destroy anything within its walls as you love the union for which you are manfully fighting -– An Officer.” The message prevented the Union Soldiers from defacing the church building. As the community and congregation grew steadily after the war -– its members having survived the hardship of Union-imposed post-war Reconstruction through the end of 1871 -– and after a more prosperous economy returned, the members of the church decided that the church building needed to be moved nearer to the center of the community. On October 15, 1884, Mrs. Frances Rhoda Hines Turner Hubert
By David Seibert, August 4, 2010
1. Philadelphia United Methodist Church Marker
graciously deeded the land on which the present church building stands. Timbers from the original church building were used in the construction of the present structure on this site. Early church records and tombstones in the large cemetery bear silent witness to the names of many early church families including Alexander, Batchelor, Beal, Collier, Credelle, Dance, Dennis, Denham, Gatewood, Holt, Little, Maddox, Montgomery, Reddick, Rogers, Rosser, Slaughter, Spivey, Turner and Wheeler. Descendents of these early families are continuing to carry on the work of the founders of this church today. This plaque is dedicated to the Glory of God and to the ministers and members of this church who have willingly given so much in order that His message of salvation and the life eternal might be shared with all mankind.
By David Seibert, February 19, 2005
2. Philadelphia United Methodist Church Marker
Erected 2002 by Members of the Philadelphia United Methodist Church, Friends and Eatonton-Putnam County Historical Society, Inc.
Location. 33° 21.833′ N, 83° 16.083′ W. Marker is near Eatonton, Georgia, in Putnam County. Marker is on New Phoenix Road 0.6 miles east of Old Phoenix Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker stands at the church sanctuary, a short distance off the road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 264 New Phoenix Road, Eatonton GA 31024, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Turnwold Plantation (approx. 1.2 miles away); Hillsborough (approx. 1.6 miles away); Mrs. Beall's Mill (approx. 2.9 miles away); Rockville School (approx. 3.9 miles away); Concord Methodist Church (approx. 6.2 miles away); Georgia 4-H Center (approx. 7.1 miles away); Rock Eagle Mound (approx. 7.1 miles away); Site of the Home and Private School of Adiel Sherwood (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eatonton.
By David Seibert, August 4, 2010
3. Philadelphia United Methodist Church and Marker
Categories. • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 25, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 925 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on August 26, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 25, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.