Graham in Alamance County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Built to House the Alamance Gleaner
Built to House
The Alamance Gleaner
1875 - 1947
Erected by Graham Historic District Commission.
Location. 36° 4.24′ N, 79° 23.99′ W. Marker is in Graham, North Carolina, in Alamance County. Marker is on Harden Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 East Harden Street, Graham NC 27253, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Harden House (a few steps from this marker); Montwhite Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Wrike Drug (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alamance County Confederate Memorial (about 400 feet away); Alamance County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); Originally a Wing of the Union Hotel (about 500 feet away); Graham's First Bank (about 600 feet away); National Bank of Alamance (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Graham.
Regarding Built to House the Alamance Gleaner. The weekly newspaper, The Alamance Gleaner, published its first issue on February 9, 1875. The first editor was Captain Edward S. Parker. The newspaper's first office was on the third floor of the Trollinger
The newspaper is available on microfilm at the Graham Public Library, located at 211 South Main Street. Issues are available: February 1875 to January 1947.
The building is the current home of E.P. Gates Construction and Realty.
Additional keywords. Newspaper, Graham, Captain E.S. Parker,
Categories. • Communications •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 27, 2010, by Paul Jordan of Burlington, N. C., U. S. A.. This page has been viewed 647 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 27, 2010, by Paul Jordan of Burlington, N. C., U. S. A.. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.