Graham in Alamance County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Originally a Wing of the Union Hotel
Originally a Wing of the
In 1903 Converted to a Dwelling
By L. Banks Holt
Erected by Graham Historic District Commission.
Location. 36° 4.17′ N, 79° 23.931′ W. Marker is in Graham, North Carolina, in Alamance County. Marker is at the intersection of East Elm Street and North Marshall Street on East Elm Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 140 East Elm Street, Graham NC 27253, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Vestal Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alamance County Confederate Memorial (about 400 feet away); Alamance County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); The Harden House (about 500 feet away); Graham's First Bank (about 500 feet away); Built to House the Alamance Gleaner (about 500 feet away); Wrike Drug (about 500 feet away); National Bank of Alamance (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Graham.
Regarding Originally a Wing of the Union Hotel. This historic property has housed several hotels through the years. The single-story, stuccoed brick structure was built by John Trollinger in 1850. The
After the Civil War, the Graham Female Seminary was housed in the building, and later reverted back to a hotel.
Zebulon Vance stayed in the hotel during his 1876 campaign for Governor.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 28, 2010, by Paul Jordan of Burlington, N. C., U. S. A.. This page has been viewed 682 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 28, 2010, by Paul Jordan of Burlington, N. C., U. S. A.. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.