Near Cordele in Crisp County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Georgia Veterans Memorial State Park
Camp Safety Patrol
“Camp Safety Patrol,” established 1951, lies along the South border of the Memorial Park and was sponsored by the Safety Education Division of the Georgia Department of Public Safety and the Georgia Department Veterans of Foreign Wars, and proved to be the first School Patrol Safety Training Camp in the nation dedicated to teaching safety to youth.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 040-5.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 57.233′ N, 83° 54.967′ W. Marker is near Cordele, Georgia, in Crisp Touch for map. The marker is located in Georgia Veterans Memorial State Park (fee required), at the entrance to the Lake Blackshear Golf Club and Resort, built on the site of Camp Safety Patrol. Marker is in this post office area: Cordele GA 31015, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans of Foreign Wars Group Camp (a few steps from this marker); Spanish-Indian Battle (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Georgia Veterans Memorial State Park (approx. one mile away); Camp Safety Patrol (approx. one mile away); Blackshear Trail (approx. 5.7 miles away); Fort Early (approx. 6.6 miles away); Crisp County (approx. 7.9 miles away); De Soto Trail (was approx. 8.1 miles away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cordele.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Additional keywords. Parks
Categories. • Education • Patriots & Patriotism • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 901 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 21, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on August 29, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.