Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Whitesbog in Burlington County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Whitesbog Village

 
 
Whitesbog Village Marker image. Click for full size.
By Deb Hartshorn, August 28, 2010
1. Whitesbog Village Marker
Inscription. Historic Whitesbog Village has its origins in 1857 when James A. Fenwick began cultivating cranberry bogs at this location. His son-in-law Joseph Josiah White took over management of the farm upon Fenwick's death in 1882, and not long after the company town for Joseph J. White, Inc. began to emerge. It was here in 1916 that the collaborative work of J. J. White's daughter Elizabeth Coleman White and Dr. Frederick V. Coville of the U. S. Department of Agriculture resulted in the development of the world's first cultivated high bush blueberry. At its peak, Whitesbog and the two satellite villages of Rome and Florence out in the bogs were home to 600 workers. Technological advances in cranberry harvesting reduced that number to a mere fraction by the 1960s when the state of New Jersey purchased the land and made it part of Lebanon (now Brendan T. Byrne) State Forest. All of the buildings here were constructed between 1890 and 1925. Whitesbog Village was placed on the New Jersey and National Register of Historic Places in 1988. The Whitesbog Preservation Trust, a private non-profit citizens group dedicated to the restoration and interpretation of Whitesbog, leases most of the village from the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Parks and Forestry. Between 2004 and 2010, restoration and rehabilitation of 21 buildings
Whitesbog Village Marker in the center of the village image. Click for full size.
By Deb Hartshorn, August 28, 2010
2. Whitesbog Village Marker in the center of the village
was funded in part by a generous grant from the Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund administered by the New Historic Trust.
 
Erected 2010 by Whitesbog Preservation Trust.
 
Location. 39° 57.576′ N, 74° 30.58′ W. Marker is in Whitesbog, New Jersey, in Burlington County. Marker is at the intersection of Whites Bog Road and West Whites Bog Road, on the right when traveling north on Whites Bog Road. Touch for map. There are no street signs at this location. Marker is in this post office area: Browns Mills NJ 08015, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Conservation and Environmental Studies Center, Inc. (here, next to this marker); Exploring the Pinelands (a few steps from this marker); A Million Dollar Resource (within shouting distance of this marker); Elizabeth Coleman White (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dedicated To Those Who Served (approx. 3.8 miles away); A Limited Resource (approx. 5.6 miles away); 44th Infantry Division (approx. 7 miles away); The Ultimate Weapon (approx. 7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Whitesbog Preservation Trust. (Submitted on August 31, 2010, by Deb Hartshorn of Burlington County, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. AgricultureIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2010, by Deb Hartshorn of Burlington County, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 742 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 31, 2010, by Deb Hartshorn of Burlington County, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement