Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mackinac Island in Mackinac County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Round Island Lighthouse

 
 
Round Island Lighthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By M H, August 21, 2010
1. Round Island Lighthouse Marker
Inscription. The Round Island Lighthouse, seen south of this site, was completed in 1895. Operating under the auspices of the United States Government, this facility was in continuous use for fifty-two years. It was manned by a crew of three until its beacon was replaced by an automatic light in 1924. A sole caretaker occupied and operated the station from 1924 to 1947. Following the construction of a new automatic beacon near the breakwater off the south shore of Mackinac Island, the lighthouse was abandoned. The United States Forest Service now supervises the structure which is located in the Hiawatha National Forest. The lighthouse serves as a sentinel for the past, reminding visitors of the often precarious sailing and rich history of the Straits of Mackinac.
 
Erected by Michigan History Division; Department of State. (Marker Number 107.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 45° 50.79′ N, 84° 37.121′ W. Marker is in Mackinac Island, Michigan, in Mackinac County. Marker is on Huron Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mackinac Island MI 49757, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Round Island Lighthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cameron Zwart, July 9, 2007
2. Round Island Lighthouse Marker
are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. American Fur Company Store (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sainte Anne Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Historic Fort Mackinac (approx. half a mile away); Mission Church (approx. half a mile away); Skull Cave (approx. mile away); Fort Holmes (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Holmes (approx. 0.8 miles away); British Landing (approx. 2.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mackinac Island.
 
More about this marker. The marker is located on Mackinac Island, representing the lighthouse on Round Island to the south.
 
Categories. Man-Made FeaturesWaterways & Vessels
 
Round Island Lighthouse as seen from Mackinac Island on an overcast day image. Click for full size.
By M H, August 21, 2010
3. Round Island Lighthouse as seen from Mackinac Island on an overcast day
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2010. This page has been viewed 720 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on September 1, 2010, by Mh of Las Vegas, Nevada.   2. submitted on May 16, 2012, by Cameron Zwart of Belding, Michigan.   3. submitted on September 12, 2010, by Mh of Las Vegas, Nevada. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Close up picture of the Round Island Lighthouse. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement