Norfolk, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Norfolk Public Library
The book collection of the Library Association was moved from one rented space to another for more than 30 years. In 1901 the library board applied to philanthropist Andrew Carnegie for a grant to build a permanent home and received a pledge of $50,000. The children of William Selden donated the site for the library on West Freemason Street in memory of their father.
The Beaux Arts Classical library was designed by the Boston firm of Herbert D. Hale and Henry G. Morse. Details include a bust of Minerva over the entrance and a frieze engraved with the names of classical authors on the lintel cornice. The library opened free of membership dues on 21 November 1904.
Erected by City of Norfolk.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Carnegie Libraries marker series.
Location. 36° 51.113′ N, 76° 17.724′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 345 W. Freemason St., Norfolk VA 23510, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Marine Observation Tower (approx. 0.2 miles away); James W. Hunter House, 1894 (approx. 0.2 miles away); West Freemason Street Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Taylor-Whittle House, 1791 (approx. 0.2 miles away); USS Norfolk Bell (approx. 0.2 miles away); USS Forrestal CVA/CV/AVT-59 (approx. 0.2 miles away); USS Liberty AGTR-5 (approx. 0.2 miles away); USS Scorpion (SSN-589) (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Norfolk.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 790 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 1, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. 4. submitted on October 7, 2015. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.