Killen in Lauderdale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Town of Killen
The area known as Killen in Lauderdale County, was settled in the early 1800s. In 1826, Joseph Mason was appointed the first postmaster of the new community called Masonville, later to become Killen. The post office existed until 1866. In the 1830s the construction of the Alabama Canal brought growth to the area. The canal was built to solve the navigation problems created by the shoals in the Tennessee River. Construction on the new canal began in 1875 and the 14 1/2 - mile canal, with nine locks with a lift of 85 feet, opened November 10, 1890. The canal was renamed the Muscle Shoals Canal. Lock six served as the headquarters and was located just 1/2- mile south of Killen. The canal system had a major economic impact on the development of Killen. Many of the citizens were employed on the canal and others supplied raw materials and food for the operation.
[ Side 2:]
Erected 2010 by Erected By The Alabama Tourism Department And The Town of Killen.
Location. 34° 51.566′ N, 87° 32.439′ W. Marker is in Killen, Alabama, in Lauderdale County. Marker is on J.C. Mauldin Highway west of Poplar Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Killen AL 35645, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Muscle Shoals Canal (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lone Cedar Church of Christ (approx. 4.6 miles away); St. Florian Historic District (approx. 4.8 miles away); Center (Centre) Star (approx. 4.9 miles away); St. Michael's Catholic Church (approx. 5 miles away); Wilson Family Cemetery 19th Century / Slave Cemetery 19th Century (approx. 5.1 miles away); Shoals Creek Preserve Tract (approx. 5½ miles away); Mitchell Town Community (approx. 5.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Killen.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 1,028 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 1, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.