Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Lumpkin in Stewart County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

First Seat of Government of Randolph County

>>>-- 1/4 mi. -->

 
 
First Seat of Government of Randolph County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2011
1. First Seat of Government of Randolph County Marker
Inscription. Near here on the old Fort Gaines Road, the first Monday in August 1829, at the home of Allen and Jeanette (Roby) Wamble, was held the first Inferior Court for Randolph County which, at that time, included Stewart, Webster and Randolph Counties. Lumpkin was soon made the County Seat of Randolph County and continued for Stewart County after it was formed in 1830.

On February 12, 1829, Gov. John Forsyth commissioned Allen Wamble, Jared Irwin, nephew of Gov. Jared Irwin, John Cowan, John R.M. Neel as Justices of the Inferior Court of Randolph County.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 128-16.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 31° 55.733′ N, 84° 44.583′ W. Marker is near Lumpkin, Georgia, in Stewart County. Marker is at the intersection of Singer Pond Road (County Route 145) and Unnamed dirt road, on the right when traveling south on Singer Pond Road. Touch for map. The marker is on the bank above the road. Marker is in this post office area: Lumpkin GA 31815, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Benevolence Baptist Church (approx.
First Seat of Government of Randolph County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2011
2. First Seat of Government of Randolph County Marker
Looking south on Singer Pond Road, now named Fuller Earth Road
3.3 miles away); Gen. Evansí Birthplace (approx. 5.7 miles away); Westville Symposium (approx. 8.1 miles away); Methodist Camp Ground (approx. 8.5 miles away); Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church / Green Grove Schoolhouse (approx. 8.8 miles away); Stewart County Academy and Masonic Building (approx. 9 miles away); Lumpkin and Stewart County (approx. 9 miles away); County Courthouse (approx. 9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lumpkin.
 
Categories. Government
 
First Seat of Government of Randolph County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2011
3. First Seat of Government of Randolph County Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 377 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on September 1, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on September 2, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   3. submitted on September 1, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement