Carlisle in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Salvation Army
—(125-127 South Hanover Street) —
Mr. Stuart’s ancestor, Samuel Stuart (also known as Stewart), purchased this property September 7, 1778, where he engaged in tavern keeping and for a period of time this facility housed Hessian prisoners of war.
Location. 40° 11.962′ N, 77° 11.356′ W. Marker is in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is on S Hanover Street north of E Chapel Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Andre & Despard House (a few steps from this marker); Major André (a few steps from this marker); Blaine House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Green Tree Inn (about 500 feet away); Col. Robert Magaw (about 500 feet away); The McClintock Riot (about 600 feet away); Carlisle Court House (about 600 feet away); Old Graveyard (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carlisle.
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 500 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 2, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.