Carlisle in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
West College: A National Historic Landmark
Walking Tour Stop 16
The cornerstone of Old West was placed on August 8, 1803. The building hosted its first classes in November 1805 and housed its first undergraduates in 1810. Future U.S. President James Buchanan, class of 1809, was among the first students to study in the new building.
In 1963 Old West was designated a Registered National Historic Landmark. Home to administrative offices and classrooms, Old West continues to be the centerpiece of Dickinson’s 115-acre campus.
Erected by Historic Carlisle, Inc.
Location. 40° 12.127′ N, 77° 11.708′ W. Marker is in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is on W High Street (U.S. Touch for map. Marker is on W High Street, between West Street and College Street. Marker is in this post office area: Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dickinson College (within shouting distance of this marker); The President’s House (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Benjamin Rush (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The John Dickinson Campus of Dickinson College (about 300 feet away); George Washington (about 500 feet away); The Benjamin Rush Campus of Dickinson College (about 600 feet away); Beta Pi Chapter of Kappa Sigma Fraternity (about 600 feet away); Dickinson Students Part Ways (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carlisle.
More about this marker. The upper right of the marker contains the “Earliest known photograph of Old West, circa 1860.” Below this is a picture of “Benjamin Latrobe’s original plans for the north face of Old West, May 18, 1803.” Photos courtesy of Dickinson College Archives.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 589 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 6, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 4, 5. submitted on March 17, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.