Near Albany in Green County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
“English Settlement” Cemetery
Area families built the non-denominational Allen Creek Union Church on this site in 1886, also donating land for this cemetery. Following Welsh tradition, a small lane ran through the cemetery and was called the "Devil's Highway," which brought fear to generations of local children.
Erected 2007 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 517.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 42° 44.487′ N, 89° 24.49′ W. Marker is near Albany, Wisconsin, in Green County. Marker is on English Settlement Road half a mile north of Dunphy Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Albany WI 53502, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Union Church (here, next to this marker); CCC Veterans Memorial Bridge (approx. 6.3 miles away); Nickolaus Gerber (approx. 9.7 miles away); Early Belleville / Library Park (approx. 10.3 miles away); Village of Cooksville / Village of Waucoma (approx. 10.9 miles away); St. Raphael's Frenchtown Cemetery (approx. 11.7 miles away); Lake Harriet School (approx. 13.3 miles away); Revolutionary War Veteran (approx. 13.9 miles away).
Also see . . . Welsh National Gymanfa Ganu Association. (Submitted on September 10, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 7, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 734 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 7, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.