Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Monroe in Green County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First Methodist Episcopal Church

 
 
First Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, September 6, 2010
1. First Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.
Side A
The First Methodist Episcopal congregation began building this church in 1869 to replace an earlier church built in 1843. The parsonage was completed in 1886 and the congregation dedicated the completed church in 1887.

The church is Monroe's finest late-Gothic Revival building, a European-inspired style popularized in America as ecclesiastical. The church's steep roof, the tall and narrow pointed-arch windows, and elaborate window tracery are stylistic hallmarks. The rose window on the front facade, composed of tear-shaped stained glass panels, is its most striking feature. The church's decorative brickwork and angled corner tower are hallmarks of its architect, Edward Townsend Mix.

SideB
Edward Townsend Mix (1831-1890) designed this church at the height of his career. Born in Connecticut, he trained in the New Haven office of church architect Sidney Mason Stone. Mix moved to Milwaukee in 1856. He practiced independently from 1857-1881 and in his own firm of Mix & Co. from 1881-1890. Mix was Wisconsin's State Architect from 1864-1867. Widely known throughout the Midwest, Mix designed many prominent buildings in Milwaukee, including the Plankinton House Hotel; Jason Downer Residence; Immanuel Presbyterian; the Mitchell Building; the Milwaukee Chamber of Commerce; and the Chicago, Milwaukee,
First Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, September 6, 2010
2. First Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Back side of marker.
and St. Paul depot.

The non-profit Monroe Arts Center, formed to purchase the building, took ownership in 1976, and opened the building to the community with performances and exhibitions.
 
Erected 2007 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 514.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 42° 36.075′ N, 89° 38.568′ W. Marker is in Monroe, Wisconsin, in Green County. Marker is at the intersection of 11th Street and 13th Avenue, on the left when traveling east on 11th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1315 11th Street, Monroe WI 53566, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nickolaus Gerber (approx. 10.2 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Monroe Arts Center. (Submitted on September 10, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
 
Additional keywords. Architecture
 
Categories. Arts, Letters, MusicChurches, Etc.
 
First Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, September 6, 2010
3. First Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
The "Rose Window" Mentioned in the Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, September 6, 2010
4. The "Rose Window" Mentioned in the Marker
The window design serves as the logo for the Monroe Arts Center mentioned in the marker.
First Methodist Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, September 6, 2010
5. First Methodist Episcopal Church
The angled corner tower mentioned in the marker.
Nearby Old Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, September 6, 2010
6. Nearby Old Methodist Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 7, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 648 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 8, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement