Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Former Federal Court Building and Post Office

Discover Downtown Walking Tour A

 
 
Former Federal Court Building and Post Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 12, 2010
1. Former Federal Court Building and Post Office Marker
Inscription.
When it was completed in 1887, this building was the first federal district courthouse and post office specifically built for those purposes in the city. A magnificent example of the Romanesque Revival style, the building was more than doubled in size between 1907 and 1912. The building was used as a courthouse until 1934 when the new Federal Courthouse was constructed. It was then used for a variety of federal offices until 1984 when it was transferred through the city of Columbus to the law firm of Bricker & Eckler who currently use it as their offices under a long term lease.

———————

In honor of
Richard C. Simpson, Esq.
whose vision and leadership led
to the saving and restoration of
this historically significant
central Ohio landmark
Bricker & Eckler LLP
Administrative Partner 1982-1986
Managing Partner 2000-2009

Dedicated January 28, 2010
(Marker Number 3.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Postal Mail and Philately marker series.
 
Location. 39° 57.621′ N, 82° 59.845′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of 3rd Street (U.S. 23/33) and
Former Federal Court Building and Post Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 12, 2010
2. Former Federal Court Building and Post Office Marker
State Street, on the left when traveling south on 3rd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 South 3rd Street, Columbus OH 43215, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Central Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Ohio in the Civil War / Defending Ohio (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Breathing Association (about 400 feet away); The Ohio Theater (about 500 feet away); Columbus City Hall (about 500 feet away); United Mine Workers of America (about 500 feet away); Here Stood Lincoln (about 500 feet away); Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Oak (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Also see . . .  National Register Info. (Submitted on September 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
National Register Marker on Building image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 12, 2010
3. National Register Marker on Building
Richard C. Simpson Dedication Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 12, 2010
4. Richard C. Simpson Dedication Marker
Former Federal Court Building and Post Office image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 12, 2010
5. Former Federal Court Building and Post Office
Looking southeast.
Former Federal Court Building and Post Office Entrance image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 12, 2010
6. Former Federal Court Building and Post Office Entrance
Former Federal Court Building and Post Office image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 12, 2010
7. Former Federal Court Building and Post Office
North Facade along State Street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 539 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement